When I was younger, I used to love Like Water for Chocolate—both the book and the film. It seemed such a sensual, magical, surreal delight. A tear drop ruins a wedding cake, a sister bursts into flames of passion, a mother haunts her youngest daughter, and all in the backdrop of exotic México. But I hadn’t seen the film since the mid-90s when I watched it again over the weekend, and it hasn’t aged well. For one, I remembered something that always disappointed me about the film, Tita’s preference for Pedro over Doctor Brown. Only instead of disappointing me, it irritated me to no end during this viewing. I wear glasses and I’m a bit nerdy, so perhaps I have a natural preference for Brown, but just what does Pedro offer Tita? He seems pretty lifeless actually, other than having a hunky, Antonio-Banderas-like visage. Brown is sweet, intelligent, and caring. And way too understanding! Also, I guess CGI must have ruined me, because what was once a surreal delight now seems pretty straight-laced in terms of narrative and imagery. I guess, as B.B. King says, “the thrill is gone.”
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Sol y viento episodio 9 : Endings, beginnings, and the messy stuff in the middle
- Sol y viento episodio 8 : ¿Qué dice el corazón?
- Sol y viento (episodio 5) : Carlos cries, Jaime lies, and María flies
- Sol y viento episodio 7 : Sunstroke Epiphany
- Sol y viento (episodio 4) : Romance/Bromance, Let's Go For a Ride
- Sol y viento : episodio 1 (con subtitulos)
- Sol y viento (Episodio 3) : Jaime Plays Hardball
- Sol y viento episodio 6 : All the cats are out of the bag
- Sol y viento (episodio 2) : Jaime's Turbine of Amor
- ¡Feliz Janucá! : Spanish Hanukkah vocabulary
La Nubeadvanced almodóvar animales Argentina Arriba arriba help arte audio autotune Barcelona bebida beginners Bolivia Catalan Catalonia Chile Colombia comida cuba cuerpo deportes dia festivo edimburgo españa europa familia fútbol gramática hints hugo chavez humor immigration intermediate januca javier bardem ladino libros Los Estados Unidos lucha libre mexico musica musica cubana ninos peliculas penelope cruz politics pop culture preterite preterito publicidad Puerto Rico rant religion republica dominicana Reviews rock en español ron perlman san luis sol y viento sol y viento dialogue sol y viento english sol y viento episode sol y viento episodio sol y viento help south america Spain spanish vocabulary St. Louis television Uruguay venezuela verbos viajes video vocabulario